MECHANIC FOR FEDERATION RULE 7-13 Art. 1 Updated 5/6/15
1. Whistle ends play. Dead ball.
2. Head coach asks for a double horn.
3. Officials recognize the horn (or the request in case table personnel is slow) before the start of the ensuing play.
4. Near side official enters box to ascertain the issue.
5. That official and the two head coaches will enter the special substitution area. The requesting head coach will be the only one to speak. The timeout timer begins its 2:00 countdown, the time limit for this entire process.
6. If the request is NOT a question regarding an interpretation of a rule (i.e. a judgment call or a missed call during the last live ball play), the official will inform both coaches that this is a situation where the call cannot be challenged, step out of the box, and grant the remainder of the TO to the requesting coach. If the requesting coach has no TOs remaining, a technical foul will be assessed and play will resume promptly.
7. If the request concerns a misapplication or a misinterpretation of a rule, the official will meet their partner(s) at center X and discuss. Teams may go to their benches during this time.
8. The Referee will return to the special substitution area and inform both coaches of the decision.
9. If the officials misapplied a rule, the necessary adjustments will be made and play
will be resumed immediately.
10. If the officials did not misapply a rule, the requesting coach/team will be charged with a timeout and may use that portion of the 2:00 remaining for their timeout. If no TOs remain for that team, a technical foul will be assessed and play will resume promptly.