Dear VLOA Members, I hope this note finds you all well and staying safe. We just completed the fall sport seasons this past weekend and we can now start thinking about the upcoming spring sports in 2021. Again the VPA and the State of Vermont will determine how the season will be handled.
A few things to note from several soccer and football officials during the fall season:
1. Players, coaches, and spectators (if any) masked at all times.
2. Officials to wear mask during pre-game and halftime, but not during play on field (football – if near sideline, wear mask)
3. Most officials wore masks during play and used electornic whistles. Eric Evans recommend the Fox 40 electronic whistle as others are not loud enough to hear outdoors.
4. Football – some officials used whistle on a lanyard that fit under mask/neck gaiter. Some had issues with electronic whistles at first and reverted back to hand whistles.
5. Football and soccer did not have coin toss. No hand shakes or contact of any kind during pre or post game.
That being said, it is up to you if you want to purchase electronic whistles and if wish to do so, order ahead of time as some vendors have reported some items being on backorder.
Hopefully the winter season will progress with few issues so that we can go into the spring on a positive note.
At time time we may be doing a virtual annual meeting sometime in early January. We will keep you posted.
We do have a few new names that have expressed an interest in officiating for Spring 2021.
If you know that you will not be officiating please let me know ASAP. I will get another note out before the end of the year.
As always if you have any questions please get back to me.