JOB DESCRIPTIONS OF LEADERSHIP POSITIONS
VERMONT LACROSSE OFFICIALS ASSOCIATION
(Created by the VLOA Board of Directors Jan. 5, 2015).
PRESIDENT (or someone he/she designates: designee) (Brett DiVenere)
- The President (P) serves on the Board of Directors (BOD) as a full voting member.
- Is elected by the VLOA membership at the end of the annual business meeting and serves a two-year term.
- Organizes, sets the agendas, and chairs all VLOA general meetings and BOD meetings using Roberts Rules.
- Acts of the official “voice” of the BOD and the VLOA in communication with outside organizations such as VPA and NFHS, etc. Coordinates VLOA representation at VPA meetings.
- Shall appoint annually (by Jan. 1 of that year) the Grievance Committee.
- Shall appoint bi-annually (by Jan. 1 of that year) the Nominating Committee.
- Shall, in consultation with the BOD, appoint annually (by Jan. 1 of that year) the Education Committee that includes the New Officials Clinics Coordinator and the Training Coordinator.
- Shall, in consultation with the BOD, appoint annually (by Jan.1 of that year) the Evaluators.
- Shall, in consultation with the BOD, oversee the process for Life Membership.
- Oversees the process for filling a vacancy in the BOD.
- Shall, in consultation with the BOD, bring to the Grievance Committee any member whose off-field actions fall under Art. 7 Section 4 (a).
- Shall, together with the Assignor, bring to the Grievance Committee any member whose on-field actions or failure to meet assigning expectations fall under Art. 7 Sec. 4 (a).
- Updates the VLOA website.
VICE PRESIDENT (or designee) (Craig Benson)
- The Vice President (VP) serves on the BOD as a full voting member.
- Is elected by the membership at the end of the annual business meeting and serves a two-year term.
- Assumes the role of P when the P is unable to do so.
- Records the minutes of all VLOA general and BOD meetings. Distributes meeting minutes, approved by the BOD, no later than 14 days after any meeting.
PAST PRESIDENT (or designee) (Bill Powell)
- The Past President (PP) serves on the BOD as a full, voting member.
- After completing a two-year term as P, the PP automatically starts his term.
SECRETARY-TREASURER (or designee) (Paul Trono, appointed by Board of Directors)
- The Secretary-Treasurer (ST) serves on the BOD as a full, voting member.
- ST is chosen by the BOD.
- Establishes and oversee the VLOA checking account.
- Collects and deposits all incoming VLOA checks.
- Pays VLOA bills.
- Keeps a record of all VLOA financial transactions and prepares a report for vote approval by the membership at the annual business meeting.
- Keeps an accurate VLOA roster.
- Oversees the new members’ process and paperwork.
- Holds and secures all VSOA archives, records, and minutes.
- Collects dues and notifies those in arrears.
- With direction from the P, helps organize the VLOA meetings.
- Distributes meeting agendas no later than 7 days prior to any meeting.
- Establishes the group email list of all VLOA members.
- Acts as VLOA’s contact person with the Vermont Secretary of State’s Office.
- Oversees and records the members’ taking of the NFHS rules test. Distributes instructions for taking the test.
- Oversees the tracking of members meeting Governing Body (ex: VPA) requirements (ex: Concussion course)
- Certifies that all members carry the required insurance.
- Is reimbursed for all incurred expenses and receives a small stipend as determined annually by the BOD.
- Records meeting attendance and other VLOA requirements and notifies those in arrears.
RULES INTERPRETER (Eric Evans)
- The Rules Interpreter (RI) is appointed annually (by Jan. 1 of that year) by the BOD.
- Acts as the liaison between the VLOA and the NFHS on rules.
- Is the final adjudicator on matters relating to rules and mechanics.
- Leads the new rules presentation at the annual meeting to start the year.
- Answers rules and mechanics that arise during the season.
- Distributes bulletins, quizzes, points of emphasis, and reminders during the season.
- The Assignor is hired by the MVL (Marble Valley League) and the NVAC (Northern Vermont Athletic Conference) and, thus, works for the leagues and the schools.
- Oversees the assigning process and the system used.
- May receive an annual small stipend as determined by the BOD.
- Acts as the official liaison between the VLOA the MVL and the NVAC.
- At his discretion, gathers information (often confidential) regarding members’ job performance that may include but is not limited to peer evaluations, evaluator reports, and coaches/Ads observations.
- Selects officials for all playoff games.
- In consultation with the P, shall bring to the Grievance Committee any member whose on-field actions or failure to meet assigning expectations fall under Art. 7 Sec. 4 (a).
MINOR ROLES – Assigned by BOD or the President
- New Officials Clinic(s) Coordinator.
- Sets dates and locations for clinic(s). Publicizes the clinic(s). Runs the clinic(s) himself or assigns leaders.
- Training Coordinator.
- Conducts or assigns leaders for pre-season, in-season, and off-season training clinics for active members.
- Coordinates with the Assignor which pre-season scrimmages would be best suited for training.
- Offers training in 2-man and 3-man mechanics.